The last post featured ways to get in the mood. My favorite way, reading, is so subjective, it's hard to name the book that will do it for you. But I can try. I've learned a lot in my foray into romance, like I really need it to be set in another place or time. Any reminder of kids or pop culture and I'm out. And that even in a bodice ripper, I still need good writing and people to behave in realistic ways. I get really tired of "webs of secrets."Once you find a book you like, you can go to amazon or Shelfari or goodreads and look for people who liked it and see what else they've liked. I've even made a friend on Shelfari because her reviews were so stunning. And we had similar taste in heroines, no wallflowers for me, thank you.
I've decided to include the best of my bunch. I counted, forty one books since January, and I can't possibly review them all. And just so we're clear...romance novel titles almost never have to do with the storyline. Some of the best books I've read have not only a ridiculous title, but the covers are horrendous. Which is why I love my iPod.
Links are to amazon, because they carry both books and ebooks, but I use ereader.com.
Scottish Rogues:
A Highlander Never Surrenders by Paula Quinn (A woman who wears pants. Pants!)
If You Dare by Kresley Cole (Florence Nightingale syndrome.)
Highlander Unchained by Monica McCarty (Okay. She gets kidnapped. But maybe that's fun?)
Vampires/Supernatural:
The Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris (The books the series True Blood is based on)
Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole (I've read sections of this one more than once and I'm not even into vampire books. Or maybe I am...)
Regency:
After the Abduction by Sabrina Jeffries (Hilarious mistaken identity.)
The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne (A female spy? Awesome.)
The Perils of Pleasure by Julie Anne Long (One of my favorites.)
The Runaway Duke by Julie Anne Long (I'm a sucker for women who know what they want.)
If His Kiss is Wicked by Jo Goodman (Very dark. But well written.)
Pirates:
The Price of Pleasure by Kresley Cole (This heroine knows what she wants from the start.)
What a Pirate Desires by Michelle Beattie
This reminds me of the episode of Friends where Joey finds Rachel's book featuring a sexy vicar and the farmers daughter and says, "You got Porn!" So, there you go, I hope you enjoy the mind porn!
And...thanks for the idea, Jen*.





No comments:
Post a Comment